Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Signed letters versus anonymous ones

I feel I need to jump in here and say something because the subject of signed letters versus those which are anonymous continues to rear its ugly head.

First, I know we all would like to have the benefit of knowing who is writing us letters. And in most cases, I would hope that people would feel comfortable enough to sign their name when they do write something.

But I also know that there are times when people feel that by signing their name to something, they may face some type of repercussion later on. I think we all have experienced that concern at one time or another in our lives. So, while many people have no problem signing their name, many others do.

I do not want this forum to be restricted ONLY to those who feel comfortable or safe in signing their name. I want everyone to be able to express their opinion, and to feel comfortable in doing so. And simply because someone is reluctant to sign their name does not mean their comments or concerns are any less valid than someone who does. The only thing I ask is that people be respectful in stating their cases - whether they sign their name or not - otherwise I will be forced to remove their comments. But so far I think the majority of comments and criticisms have been fair, reasonable and respectful. Those who are being written about have the choice of either ignoring anonymous letters or responding to them - the choice is theirs; just as it is the choice of the letter writer to sign or not sign their name.

I hope everyone will understand and respect my own position in this matter and that, signed or unsigned, we can keep the various dialogues going.

Cheryl Hentz
Eye on Oshkosh website owner/administrator