Friday, February 12, 2010

Statement from Oshkosh Common Council candidate Allan Siiman

[We have received the following statement by email from Oshkosh Common Council candidate Allan Siiman and are pleased to publish it on his behalf.]

I grew up in Davie, FL, and went to school at the University of Florida. My wife and I moved to Oshkosh in February 2005 when I accepted a position with Crown Cork & Seal here in town. We lived in Hometown Apartments until we bought our house on East Irving Ave in the summer of 2006. I was a member of the Oshkosh Citizens Local Government Academy in the fall of 2005, have been on the Fox Valley APICS Chapter Board of Directors since July 2006(APICS is non-profit business organization for operations management professionals) and I am currently a member of the Oshkosh Parks Advisory Board to which I was appointed in December 2008.

Some friends of mine in town really wanted to see me run for council after hearing me be a strong advocate for allowing dogs in our city parks. I started to do a lot of homework on the issues facing Oshkosh and felt confident enough discussing them with anyone in town so I decided to throw my hat in the ring. In reality, it’s not all about the dogs. The people of Oshkosh deserve better from their city and I hope to keep the momentum going on the good things happening in Oshkosh and look for ways to improve it even more.

My priorities if elected to the council will include a commitment to improve the infrastructure of Oshkosh, a pledge to follow through on the completion of the riverfront walkway within the next 5 years, redeveloping and implementing the Pedestrian and Bicycle Circulation Plan and continuing the tree planting program throughout town. If elected I will promise to seek citizen input on issues that are important to you and I will thoroughly review items that will be on the council agenda as evidenced by my time on the parks board.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home