Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Anonymous Posters

Contributed by: Jim B.

Cheryl,

It is just amazing to me that all of these anonymous know it alls don't have the gumption to simply sign up and attach a moniker to themselves. I guess you have proved that they are more interested in hiding behind anonymity than adding or contributing!

I think you have done the right thing even if it means being a little light on the comments!

Jim B.

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.

Anonymous Posters
Authored by: admin on Tuesday, April 11 2006 @ 03:49 PM MDT
Jim, I think a lot was proved by this decision. It was not something I enjoyed doing and as you may know, I have struggled with this issue for a long time. But the ugliness that certain posters showed toward others and the lies and libelous comments made about me - in particular with respect to my profession and to things that supposedly happened on the show - made me rethink the whole business of anonymity. I still maintain that sometimes there are reasons why people want or need to remain anonymous and that there is a big difference between someone being anonymous and making a point, and someone being anonymous just to be mean. But apparently we can't have one without the other - at least not in today's climate. I was also approached by a number of people who said they believed people should have to log in to use the site. So all things considered, this was the decision that I ultimately came to and I think it is the right one.

In fact, one by one we have been seeing site administrators taking steps to curtail these types of activities by people whole sole mission in life seems to be trying to make people miserable or cause them problems. I have no doubt we'll see more of these kinds of changes in the future.

Meanwhile, I'm glad you and others have remained and welcome your continued participation.

- Cheryl

Anonymous Posters
Authored by: saint on Wednesday, April 12 2006 @ 09:40 AM MDT
Jim B is right on. I have spoken to you about this topic previously. If you can't sign your name, keep your mouth shut. Contentious persons try to hide behind whatever they can and usually try to stir up controversy rather than fact. You are going in the right direction.

Bob Cornell