Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Is PMI doing the job?

Tuesday, August 08 2006 @ 09:26 AM MDT
Contributed by: Jim B.

I have to say that after supporting the decision to utilize PMI's resources for the Leach Ampitheater, I am a little disappointed in the first full year calendar of events. They have brought very little to the table this Summer, and if it wasnt for WaterFest, I am not sure how much action the Leach would have seen.

I am also very disappointed in the marketing of events. I saw an article about the Lyle Lovett show that PMI was disappointed in the turnout(approx. 1,000) so this type of act obviously doesnt work. I am not sure how you can gauge the success of an act when you do virtually nothing to promote it in the media or otherwise. Lyle Lovett is a great entertainer that puts on an award winning performance. Granted, he is not mainstream, but other than the Northwestern I heard or saw no other mention of his show (except ONN.org).

I talked to many people in the Appleton area that would have gone if they had known about it! I also wonder about the ticket prices. Although I was willing to spend the $62 per ticket for up front seat because I am a big fan, I wonder if that doesnt scare some people away that are not as familiar with an act. Granted they had cheaper seats, but I think people tend to focus on the larger sum rather than the lawn seat pricing. If tickets are that much for Lyle Lovett, what will they be for a more popular rock band or country band?

I am unimpressed with the number of acts they actually booked for the Summer. Are they the best fit for the Leach? In the Northwestern article the PMI spokesman seemed proud of the fact that they would make the $30,000 payment this year. I was certainly hoping for more than that! With our proximity to Chicago, Milwaukee, Madison, and Minneapolis you can't tell me some acts wouldn't be interested in stopping along the way on an off night to play another gig.

Very Disappointed,
Jim B.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home