Saturday, February 03, 2007

Why Kent Monte won't be on Eye on Oshkosh

Thursday night Kent Monte published a piece in which he complained about not being invited to appear on Eye on Oshkosh. In doing so, he questioned my impartiality as a journalist.

There seems to be a disconnect between what Kent is told and what he understands about the differences between my work as a paid journalist and my role on the Eye on Oshkosh program. It’s a pretty basic concept, but apparently one that’s simply out of reach for poor Kent Monte to grasp. Despite those differences and my circulating nomination papers for two council candidates, I have been fair and impartial to every council and school board candidate who has appeared on the show, and that includes his wife, whose political views I don’t entirely agree with and who is not one of my favorite people either. While Mr. Monte is entitled to his opinion about what he perceives as my bias, thankfully it is one shared by very few people.

As for “Moping Monte” not being invited on the show, he wrote on a public blog last year that he would not come on the show again. I decided then and there I would help him keep his promise. Yet only approximately six or seven months later he scratches his head and wonders publicly where his invitation is. He rambled on to say that he doubts whether Miles Maguire or Tony Palmeri knew about my decision to not invite him. As with so many other things, Kent’s speculation again makes him look like a fool. I don’t recall if I mentioned it to Miles, but certainly Tony, like a lot of other people, has known for months about my decision (and supported it). Furthermore, Mr. Monte knows Tony was aware of it because I’m told the two discussed it during a phone call he made to Tony Thursday night. I notice he didn’t share that with his readers though.

Mr. Monte next questioned whether Paul Esslinger will be invited on the show before the general election. The simple answer is “no.” That decision was made after Esslinger’s comments last year regarding my professional integrity and his subsequent behavior, including actually having an attorney threaten me with a lawsuit over a comment I made that, if right, would have made me look bad right along with Esslinger and a few others we were involved with politically. Anyone I shared the story with found Esslinger’s actions last year laughable. They said his behavior was that of someone too thin-skinned for politics. And most, including Tony, support my decision not to have him on the show as well.

It’s funny how these people have no problem questioning Tony’s or my integrity, motives or how we run our respective blogs; yet they complain the loudest when they’re not given an invitation to appear on the show. Give me a break. They can’t have it both ways, much as I’m sure they think they deserve to.

And to answer Mr. Monte’s next question before it even gets asked, Dennis McHugh will also not be invited back on after I received a phone call and email from him last year similar in tone to Monte’s comments and expressing dislike for how Tony and I were so critical of council members. Imagine that! One of the biggest nitpicking, “got’cha” politicians we’ve seen in some time and he has a problem with Tony and I being tough on council members!! What hypocrisy. Maybe it's just he doesn't like us being tough on him or council members he gets along with.

So, no, these individuals will not be on the show. Besides, some of us find much of their behavior so embarrassing for the city I’m afraid if they did appear we’d have to call that episode “Black” Eye on Oshkosh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kent Monte said...

Really Cheryl,

Produce the comment that I posted "on a public blog" last year.

I stated that I would no longer "POST COMMENTS" on your site. A rule that I am happily breaking now. I did not state that I would not appear on the show. Nice try to cover yourself in this matter but the truth remains that you are A BIASED journalist and your show has lost significant credibility with many people who would have watched it in the past.

As for my conversation with Tony, I posted the article before the call and you are correct, he did know. He disagreed with your position and stated so but you are too hard headed to listen to your own co-host.

I will be surprised if this is published so I will add it to my site as well.

Also, you call my politics amateurish? You are the one calling me names. Who is the amateur?

Have a wonderful weekend.

K. Monte

February 03, 2007 7:25 AM  
Blogger Cheryl Hentz said...

How interesting Kent that you deny your comment publicly, but according to Tony when he told you about it and said that he, too, recalled reading it, you never once denied it.

As for the show and its credibility, I think we can all figure out who those people are you're talking to. I know what I hear from people several times a week; so does Tony. But believe what you want to make yourself feel better.

I have to wonder though, if I'm so biased and the show has lost so much credibility, why do people like you or Paul want to be on it and then complain at the top of your lungs when you're not asked? Seems to me you should be grateful for not being asked.

So is this a case of "he said, she said?" Or is it just another case of poor Kent Monte being misintepreted and misunderstood? I think we know the answer to that question, too.

- Cheryl

February 03, 2007 10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home