Sunday, February 14, 2010

Candidacy statement from Oshkosh Common Council candidate, Steve Herman

I recently retired from the Winnebago County Sheriff's Office after a thirty plus career. I feel I can bring a fresh perspective to the council. During my career I was President of the Wisconsin Crime Prevention Association, President of TRIAD of Wisconsin, appointed to the Wisconsin Citizen Corp Council, I was a peer to peer consultant with the National Crime Prevention Council and have chaired numerous crime prevention programs and community events. This experience will help me on the City Council to look outside the box for fresh ideas, common sense and problem solving to move Oshkosh forward.

I think the city and the council needs to take even a more proactive approach in creating economic development in the city. Good paying jobs leads to growth in the city and the community. We need to use the tools that the city has available, TIF's, Development-Related Grants, Revenue Bonds, Financing & Incentives. We need to follow the lead the Oshkosh Area Community Foundation announced with the planting of the trees and signage for the city, We have a vision plan that was put together by city government and the community, let's move forward and not stay stuck in the mud.

In tough economic times we need to also look inside the city first. Are there duplications of services. can services be streamlined to cut spending? Are there collaborations that could be developed in a public private partnership that can reduce city spending? Work with local, state and federal representatives to bring dollars to the city.

When I am elected to the council, I will have a Face book page, designated Email and cell phone that I can be reached on. I will attempt to attend as many open events and activities that are planned in the community so that citizens can contact me about concerns or problems that we can address.

It is time for change on the Oshkosh City Council. If you are ready than vote for Steve Herman 4 Council. It's time for common sense, fresh ideas and to limit wasteful spending! Vote Steve Herman for Oshkosh City Council on February 16th.

Steve Herman
4 Oshkosh City Council

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home