Saturday, February 11, 2006

School Music Programs

Contributed by: Anonymous
Whlie I support the youth of our fine community attempting to identify interests at a young age, I wonder at the same time how much pressure is put onto them by the instructors? Some children in the district start playing instruments as young as 12 years old, and again while I fully support a child exploring potential interests, I believe it might be better served as a club rather than a credit class. Some years ago, I played an instrument in Middle School and High School. I saw firsthand how the instructor, through their personal passion for the art, attempted to push the influence to the extreme on the youth in class. The reason I say push was because of the manner in which it was presented. The instructor did not simply present the theory and importance of the art, this instructor pounded it and obssesed on it to the point of sickness. i agonized over the fact that some of my peers were falling behind in their other studies due to the fact of the "drill sargent" technques of this instructor. Christmastime was especially hellish, for at one point there was three diffrent "concerts" in the period of two weeks that "needed" to be attended in order to pass the section. As I recall, the prospectus for the class stated that grade was determined, among classroom performance, passing of the final exam and performance at the Fall, Winter and Spring concerts that were sanctioned by the school itself. We were goaded and forced into playing solo and ensamble, at times not even picking out our musical pieces, and also forced to perform at these "concerts" that consisted of a banquet attended by several city officials and business executives, at a private fraternal organizations meeting, and several other "questionable" locales. I look back today and wonder if possibly we were used as pawns for some type of under the table gain. My point is that children need to have room to grow, and not have to deal with one aspect of learning being pounded into their fragile minds. And when a child decides that the particular interest is not for them, they should not be penalized when they decided to cease the activity. (Getting nothing but A's for 5 years, instructor fails student last semester because they decided to quit - true story)

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.

School Music Programs
Authored by: Kent Monte on Saturday, February 11 2006 @ 08:41 PM MST
I have to disagree with some of the statements made in this story. I began playing the cello in 4th grade (which was the first year I could) and continued to graduation. I took a semester off because of the exact opposite of what you are talking about. In high school (Sheb. South) I had an instructor that was not capable of teaching at that level. I didn't sign up for the class and found out later that he took a position at one of the grade schools so I returned. From that point on, my new instructor, Debbie Williamson was a wonderful teacher that was a major influence in my life. She did not push or force anyone to do anything that they were not comfortable doing. She was extremely talented and I believe to this day holds the first chair violin for the Sheboygan Symphony Orchestra. Her classes were pleasant and cheerful, and we were a successful orchestra taking a class A first in the ensemble and going to state where we recieved a second as a full orchestra. My wife, Michelle, had a similar experience with her teacher (she played viola at Sheb. North). I think that this may be isolated to the specific teacher and I would like to know who this is we are talking about because it could be detrimental to the rest of the children that are being taught in his/her classes. I don't believe either that a school orchestra should be presured or used in the manner that you are stating. If possible, please contact me out of the public forum and we should discuss this matter further. I can be reached through my email, kmonte@sbcglobal.net or by phone 233-9878. You will remain anonymous if you chose.
Thank you,
Kent Monte