Sunday, December 23, 2007

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays to all

As I write this Christmas Eve is but a few hours away. Not only is there a raging snowstorm outside, there has been an almost equally raging discussion for the last several years over the political correctness surrounding Christmas.

Some people prefer to wish others “Merry Christmas;” others prefer the more politically correct version of “Happy Holidays.” I personally don’t have a preference. I have absolutely no trouble wishing someone “Merry Christmas” because, after all, I believe Christ is the reason for the season. But I also enjoy wishing people a “Happy New Year,” too. Because the holidays come so close together, and I may not see someone both before Christmas and again before January 1, I tend to combine my greeting for both holidays into one and simply wish people “Happy Holidays.” It’s for convenience rather than trying to be politically correct, as I am one of thousands of people who believe we have gone too far in this country with political correctness.

But rather than get into a debate of the “rightness” or “wrongness” of a holiday greeting, let me cover all my bases and just take a moment to wish each of you a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year – or Happy Holidays, whichever holiday greeting you prefer. And best wishes for a joyous and wonderful 2008.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home