Thursday, April 28, 2005

Each person can make a difference

[The following was sent to us by an anonymous contributor]

The Slippery Slope
by David Walinski (Louisville, KY)

First they came after same-sex couples who wanted to get married, but because I didn't want to get married, I said nothing.

Then they came after couples who wanted to adopt children, but because I didn't want to raise children, I said nothing.

Then they came after gays and lesbians who wanted to be foster parents, but because I didn't want to be bothered with kids, I said nothing.

Then they reduced benefits for people with AIDS, but because I didn't have AIDS, I said nothing.

Then they started passing laws making it legal to discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation, but since I was self-employed, I said nothing.

Then they closed down the gay bars as a health hazard, but since I didn't go to bars, I kept quiet.

Then they reinstated sodomy laws, but when I spoke up, there was no one left to speak up with me.

(Sound familiar?) The point is we should all get involved in whatever causes we feel are just and right.

0 Comments:

<< Home