Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Common Council candidacy announcement - Mike Domke

Contributed by: Mike

I would like to announce my candidacy in the spring election for Oshkosh Common Council. As you may recall I was a candidate for the council in 2005 and it was a very positive experience to participate in the election. Since then I have had the opportunity to participate in the Citizens Academy, where I gained insight into both the structure and process of Oshkosh city government. I have also continued to follow the actions of the council and the various actions which affect all residents of Oshkosh.

For those who may be unfamiliar with me or my background, here is a quick biography: I am 35 years old and have been employed by the State of Wisconsin-Department of Corrections for 15 years. My current position is as the facility Work Release Coordinator at Winnebago Correctional Center. I have been an Oshkosh resident for the past eleven years. My family consists of my wife of 8 years Amy and our two children Brianna 4 years old and Kyle who is 11 months old.

My reason for running is I want the citizens to have someone who will look out for their best interests, yet still remain open-minded about changes from which Oshkosh and our residents may benefit. I feel that the council needs to have members who will be willing to make the tough choices associated with state mandated freezes. As a council member I will weigh the concerns of the citizens in my decision-making process and vote for what is best for Oshkosh as a whole. I feel the current council members too often come into meetings having their minds made up and not willing to consider options presented. I don't think Oshkosh residents are best served with that kind of governing style.

In closing, I would greatly appreciate your support of my campaign whether it’s in the form of your vote, signature on my nomination form, placement of a yard sign or any other support you can give. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns you may have. I can be reached by phone at 920-410-2919 or via email at mdomke1@new.rr.com.

Thank you,

Mike Domke